Written by Adam Bloom | January 7th, 2014
Science gets to the bottom of mysteries like widely reported “earthquake lights” and the true age of the cockroach in today’s green news.
1. While people for millenia have reported seeing mysterious lights immediately before earthquakes, scientists think they’ve found the answer in a unique reaction by stressed rocks. (National Geographic)
2. Researchers in northwest Colorado recently discovered 49-million-year-old fossilized cockroaches, pushing back the bug’s known Earth record by a full 5 million years. (Live Science)
3. California’s lack of snowfall this winter hurts more than avid skiers; it means people and nature in the state will have a lot less freshwater at their disposal. (Grist)
4. Windpower in the UK generated a record 10% of the country’s electricity in December, enough for 5.7 million homes during one of the most energy-intensive times of the year. (TreeHugger)
Written by McKenzie Jones | January 6th, 2014
Supervolcanos could explode without warning, a giant panda will debut, and changes in NYC streets captured on film in today’s green news.
- “Sleeping giant” supervolcanos, like the one in Yellowstone National Park, may not be as heavy of sleepers as we once thought. (BBC)
- If you plan to be in the Washington, DC are on January 18th, be sure to stop by The Smithsonian’s National Zoo; their new giant panda cub, Bao Bao, will make her public debut that day. (Huffington Post)
- See how New York City has worked to improve the walk- and bike-ability of its streets over the last decade. (Grist)
Written by McKenzie Jones | December 27th, 2013
Who wouldn’t enjoy more monarch butterflies? Learn about the key to their comeback, as well as a Snow Dragon in the Antarctic and smart dimming streetlamps in L.A. in today’s green news.
- The key to a monarch butterfly resurgence could be right in your backyard. (New York Times)
- “Snow Dragon” seeks to rescue a Russian ship, which became trapped in ice during its polar expedition. (Huffington Post)
- Los Angeles stands to curb energy use by 40% with the help of Tvilight. (Grist)
Written by Megan Sheehan | November 22nd, 2013
Written by Megan Sheehan | November 21st, 2013
Written by Madeline Van Tassel | November 19th, 2013
Written by Megan Sheehan | November 18th, 2013
Written by Megan Sheehan | November 7th, 2013
Written by Megan Sheehan | November 4th, 2013