If you’re an Apple fan, you already know: MacHeist is ON LIKE DONKEY KONG.* If you’re truly a Mac addict, then you’ve probably already ordered your nanoBundle. But if you haven’t (hurry, MacHeist ends Today!), let me make a quick pitch.
MacHeist is donating 25 percent of every sale to some amazing charities — to date, the group has donated close to $2 million dollars to charity and last year they donated $83,000 to the Conservancy’s international programs. Which brings me to my pitch:
I humbly submit that you should choose The Nature Conservancy for your charity when you pick up your MacHeist awesomeness.
Here are five reasons why:
- Accountability: The Nature Conservancy has a four star rating from Charity Navigator (It doesn’t get any higher than that!) and an A- rating from the American Institute of Philanthropy. This means, when you contribute funds, nearly 80 percent of the money goes to programs.
- Innovation: Whether it’s in our conservation work — check out our next Big Ideas in Conservation — or in how we communicate with members — see our blog (hey, you’re reading it now!), our Twitter feed, our Facebook Cause, our Flickr group, our Plant a Billion Trees campaign and planet change, our climate change action microsite — we’re always looking to try something new. People who are down with MacHeist are down with trying new stuff.
- Working at scale: The Conservancy has protected more than 119 million acres of land and 5,000 miles of rivers worldwide — and we operate more than 100 marine conservation projects globally. We partner with everyone from indigenous people to governments and businesses and take a pragmatic approach that’s not based on political ideology — if you want to do what’s right for the environment, we want to work with you.
- Science-based: The Conservancy doesn’t take on a conservation strategy because it’s popular or we think we can get contributions from it. We take on strategies because our 700-plus scientists tell us it’s the right thing to do. Once we make a decision based on science, we act quickly.
- We need the money: Let’s not sugarcoat it: Times are tough, the economy is hurting and charitable contributions are down — way down. Programs like MacHeist are important to our mission and to ensuring we can continue to do great conservation work for nature and people. Need an example? Check out how our work on the Zambezi river is benefitting local communities.
So there’s my pitch. Now, head on over to MacHeist, load up on some great software and choose The Nature Conservancy as your charity.
*Right, I realize we’re not all Mac fans, so here’s the deal on MacHeist: The website offers a bundle of software, up to 7 programs at a deeply discounted rate and donates 25 percent of all proceeds to charity. The Nature Conservancy is one of 11 charities that stand to benefit, so we’ve got some stiff competition!