This edition of Cool Green Morning is all about bringing people together, like Glenn Beck and PETA, who are bonding over their mutual dislike of Al Gore’s diet. Or German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who’s encouraging the U.S. to team up with Europe to fight climate change. Read on for more heart-warming tales of love and friendship– and a few less cuddly topics, too, like toxic cities and climate talk troubles:
- The Conservancy’s very own Duncan Marsh was quoted in this Associated Press article about an unfortunate hold-up at the U.N. climate talks happening right now in Barcelona. Marsh says that further delays could be “tragic,” preventing necessary discussion on emissions targets.
- It might be toxic to your wallet, or to your emotional and physical well-being, but the city of Las Vegas is the least toxic of 40 major metropolitan areas, reports GreenBiz. Based on its number of Superfund sites, facilities that release toxic chemicals and air quality ranking, it turns out it’s Atlanta we’ve got to be really worried about.
- Strange bedfellows Glenn Beck and PETA (yes, really) are ganging up on climate warrior Al Gore, claiming the former VP’s a hypocrite for his meat-eating ways. Huffington Post Green says new BFFs Beck and PETA prez Ingrid Newkirk called Gore a “baby” and “steakaholic” on Beck’s Fox News show last night. BURN!
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel addressed a joint session of the House of Representatives and the Senate, with the goal of encouraging the U.S. to “to fall in line with Europe” on climate change issues and legislation, according to Twilight Earth. Hey, if Glenn Beck and PETA can team up for a cause, anything’s possible.
- Treehugger reports that super-high-end fashion houses Yves Saint Laurent, Alexander McQueen, Stella McCartney and Balenciaga have pledged to significantly reduce their carbon footprints by December 2010 by reducing the amount of paper they use, avoiding fiber from high conservation value forests, and purchasing only recycled or FSC-certified products. Let’s celebrate by you buying me a Balenciaga handbag!
Donate to The Nature Conservancy and give back to nature.
Tags: air pollution, Al Gore, Angela Merkel, Associated Press, Atlanta, Barcelona, congress, Duncan Marsh, emissions targets, Germany, Glenn Beck, GreenBiz, Huffington Post, Las Vegas, PETA, Treehugger, Twilight Earth