Bad news for weird cars in today’s five green links you must click on — “weird” now including hybrids, which have fallen out of favor with the American public faster than Alex Rodriguez or stock index funds:
- Tricycles Need Not Apply: A three-wheeled all-electric vehicle that gets over 200 miles per gallon doesn’t qualify for the federal government’s $25 billion loan program for advance vehicles because…it’s got only three wheels. (Hat tip: Environmental Capital.)
- It Could Only Go So Far: Sales of hybrid cars have plummeted in the last few months — victim of falling gas prices and the unraveling economy, says the L.A. Times. (Hat tip: Green Inc.)
- We’re Going to Need a Bigger Trash Can: Just how much waste does the United States produce? No one seems to know, says Joel Makower–but industrial waste is the biggest black hole, so to speak.
- Calling Joe the Plumber: If cap-and-trade is a tax, it’s a progressive one, says Bradford Plumer at The Vine — and President Obama needs to start selling it as such.
- Aloha, Native Species: A new state and federal program will pay Hawai’ian farmers to plant endangered native species on unused portions of their lands, reports 60-Second Science.
Donate to The Nature Conservancy and give back to nature.